About Europeana Sounds
Scheduled to run from February 2014 to January 2017, Europeana Sounds is a project co-funded by the European Commission and the Europeana Sounds consortium, for a total budget of €6.14m (€4.91m EU contribution).
The activities of the project are organised in seven thematic work packages: aggregation, enrichment & participation, licensing guidelines, channels development, technical infrastructure, dissemination & networking, project management & sustainability.
Opening the gateway to Europe’s sound and music heritage is the core of Europeana Sounds.
At the beginning of the project, tens of thousands of audio items dating back to the invention of the first sound recorders are waiting to be discovered in numerous museums, archives and libraries throughout Europe.
With their aggregation and digitisation, the voices and sounds of Europe will become accessible online to the widest audience.
To realize this vision, Europeana Sounds will:
- Increase the amount of audio content available via Europeana and improve geographical and thematic coverage by aggregating recordings with widespread popular appeal
- Improve their access by enriching descriptions, developing techniques for cross-media and cross-collection linking
- Develop audience-specific sound channels that will improve search facility, navigation and user experience
- Promote the creative reuse of recordings
- Identify and advocate recommendations on how to resolve domain constraints and improve access to out of commerce audio content, working with music publishers and rights holders
- Build a network of stakeholders: specialists in technology, rights issues, software development and sound archives. The network will expand to new content-providers and mainstream distribution platforms to ensure the widest possible availability.
Europeana Sounds in a nutshell:
One million audio recording in Europeana in January 2017 (505,257 in February 2014)
Thousands of audio-related content (images, pictures, sheet music, etc.)
Sound channels to come
Access our public Deliverables and Milestones on Europeana Pro!